Saturday, October 8, 2016

RC4WD Gelande II 1/18

Thought-time again!  This time on my RC4WD 1/18 Gelande II RTR with D90 body set.


This is my first RC4WD (I pronounce it r/c four wheel drive) kit.  These guys are known for some high scale looking kits with a bit of a price to match.  The bodies are hard plastic, so they tend to be very damage susceptible.  This is a bit of an odd one as the body is 1/18, but the chassis is 1/24 scale.

When it was announced, I knew I would be picking it up.  I am a sucker for small scale, especially crawlers.  I was lucky enough to get an early one that included the LiPo alarm module.  The body is only available in black, but I believe it is paintable.  It has a metal frame, beadlock wheels, and very scale axles: front is off-set and rear is center.  This is something that I have wanted Axial Racing to do with their scale crawlers, and wish that more scale crawler kits had this.  Another feature it has is that instead of a typical transmission, the transmission is actually a transfer case with the motor mounted to it.  It is different, and is another item that sets this kit apart from other small scale crawlers.

Performance wise, it does decent.  For having a lot of metal, it is a little under powered.  Also it doesn't have drag break or worm gear axles.  Something that is sorely needed.  But with having a 1/18 scale body, that does give you some room to work with on upgrading the electronics.  I would love to find a micro sized speed control with drag break, and a stronger motor.  Otherwise to get over some obstacles, you need to back up and get a run at it and just use speed to get you through it.  Just on the performance that it does have I would recommend this over the ECX 1/24 Temper.

Some weekend ago I let a couple of my nephews drive it.  It did take a beating.  The only damage was one of the side mirrors got bent, and ended up breaking off.  So this truck can handle a bit of a beating.  But since I say I am an r/c basher, no worries.  If it isn't breaking, you aren't bashing.  Ha ha!

If it wasn't for 2 other small scale crawlers being recently released, I would be planning on picking up another.  I do hope they keep this one around for a long time, as I would like to get another.

Happy crawling out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment