Friday, October 11, 2013

Another Crawler

Well I recently picked up another crawler.  This one is the Axial Racing SCX10 Dingo.  Yes, it's the same chassis as the Trail Honcho.  But what can I say?  I had fun building the my first SCX10, and this one looks good.

While building, I started off with my Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro and NeuCastle 1406 Series 4600KV Brushless combo.  But once I was able to do some test drives, this set did not work so well.  The main reason is that the motor is sensorless.  And as it turns out, sensorless is not that great for low speeds.  So I ended up pulling out the Novak Eiger ESC and Axial 55T stock motor from my Venom Creeper and putting them in  the Dingo.  But don't worry, the Creeper will return! (Hey, that could be a good R/C video.)  After testing, I was much more satisfied with the results.  And while I was at it, I also relocated a light set from one of the Creeper bodies to the Dingo.

For the radio gear, I ended up moving the Futaba from the Honcho to the Dingo.  The Honcho ended up with a Spektrum receiver taken from my now broken Micro RS4 (but that is for another day).  A Cirrus servo controls direction.  The RC4WD winch that was going on to the Honcho is now mounted on the Dingo.  All in all so far, this has been a good and long build.  I hope to get it on some rocks this weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment